NaNoWriMo Update: I’m Done.

Winner

I did it. I wrote 50,021 words. And it was damn painful. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I passed the 50,000-word threshold. It felt weird. I actually managed to write 50,000 words in a month. And I can tell you every single 50,000 word is a mess. Since I kicked off this year with no plan whatsoever. I had an idea. A few lines on a word document. And that was it.

Most of what I’ve written is so messy and doesn’t make sense. And since my actual nano novel this year had no real plan, when I felt myself drifting from the story because I had no real plan guiding me along, I did end up writing bits and pieces of another story idea I had. So my nano2016 is basically 85% my first idea and the other 15% was basically an outline of another YA novel which follows a group of teenagers in an apocalypse. It was a weird idea that hit me in the middle of the month.

Basically, the story begins after the apocalypse and continues by recounting all of what has happened through social media and then, later, journals. For some reason, I remembered during year 11, for those taking History GCSE, we had to write a really long report using multiple sources like diaries, pictures and journals. And I don’t know how my mind did it, but I thought: “Hey what about a YA novel about sources of a past apocalypse and it’s written as if it’s a resource booklet?” And within this novel, it included modern versions of what can be considered a source. Like a tweet, Instagram post and other social media sites. (I even wrote a draft for a wordpress blog post!)

Okay, now I’m just rambling. I think, for now, I’ll set aside both stories. Focusing more on revision for my exams, and sorting everything out that isn’t writing-related. I know November was quiet on this blog. But I will resume to my usual blogging patterns next month. And, hopefully, return to both these stories in Jan/Feb for the NaNo’s What Next? months.

Are you a writer? Did you complete NaNoWriMo this year? Tell me about it!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “NaNoWriMo Update: I’m Done.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s